Saturday, February 26, 2011

I've Been Busy

There is almost 7 years between the birth of our two boys.  That meant I was almost 40 years old when Grant was born.  I've always said that raising children is a young man's sport, and I'm not a young man anymore.  I'll admit I need to get out, and exercise some more, but time marches on, and I've got the boot prints on my back to prove it.  My oldest son is getting married next month, and I'm taking the younger one to visit colleges.  In this case it was in Miami, Florida International University.  When you do a round-trip to Miami and back to Clearwater in 27 hour period, it's hard on the old man.  Anyway it's done; I'm not even sure if he wants to go down there, but we had to give him a choice, and open his eyes up to something other than the Tampa Bay area.

Unfortunately, I had to miss a Kairos meeting today.  We were thinking of staying an extra day down there for the big open house at Florida International University, but instead we came home last night.  I wouldn't have been able to make it to the meeting as I didn't get up until 8:00 AM.  I forgot, but I also had our yearly retreat today for the worship team at church, so I probably wouldn't have made it anyway.

Enough of the whining, which is a good segue for our Random Stuff for today:
  1. Is Barack Obama Secretly Swiss? - The administration's pathetic, dithering response to the Arab uprisings has been both cynical and naive.  This byline from Slate written by Christopher Hitchens is a telling indictment on President Obama's pathetic Chamberlain'ing response to the Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi's shanagans.  The last line in the piece says it all about our leader's response to the uprising in Libya, "Instead, and in the crucial and formative days in which revolutions are decided, we have had to endure the futile squawkings of a cuckoo clock."  Here's the link to the article on Slate:  http://www.slate.com/id/2286522/.
  2. This is a neat YouTube video, Hideaway in Rockford.  Seems like the Rockford, IL is benefiting from their northern neighbor's senators hiding away there.  I wonder if the Wisconsin governor holds back their paycheck, whether they'll tell refugees to go back?

  3. C. S. Lewis on life's interruptions posted on Trevin Wax's blog.  “The great thing, if one can, is to stop regarding all the unpleasant things as interruptions of one’s ‘own’, or ‘real’ life. The truth is of course that what one calls the interruptions are precisely one’s real life – the life God is sending one day by day: what one calls one’s ‘real life’ is a phantom of one’s own imagination.”  http://trevinwax.com/2011/02/26/c-s-lewis-on-lifes-interruptions/.
  4. The Gift of Victor Hugo from the Desiring God blog by John Piper,    http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/the-gift-of-victor-hugo.

No comments:

Post a Comment