Sunday, January 16, 2011

Unexpected

I was working the sound board this morning, working on getting monitors, and sound levels right before the service.  I looked around, and noticed everyone reading the church bulletin, The Weekly Herald.  There seemed to be a lot of talking going on.  A friend of ours, turned around, pointing at the article on the front page, and asked if I had seen it.  I looked at her, and shook my head, and went on working on the sound.  People sometimes don't understand the stress that goes on, when you're working the sound board.  The previous service gets out about 9:30, and the service I'm working starts up 15 minutes later.  During that time, we get everything plugged in, test levels, get in-ear monitor levels set.  It's a lot of stuff to do, so when people talk to me while I'm doing this, I seem distant, and uninterested in their questions, or uninterested in their conversation.  I don't mean to, but I'm just focused on what's in front of me.

After the music, and at the start of the sermon, I took a walk down to get me a copy of the church bulletin.  As I started to read it, I knew what it was.  David Landers, our church pastor for the last 22 years was going to step down, and turn over the reins of this ministry to another senior pastor.  David Landers is a man I admire.  He has a heart for the Lord, and he has been at the helm of our church since we started going there 18 years ago.  We haven't always agreed with each other, but on the Word of God, we do.  Dan Mullett, our lay leader announced to the crowd that Romans 8:28 was David's verse he was leaning on.  We all knew that he was going to step down eventually, but just not at this time.  (Notice I didn't say retire, because as David has told us, there's no word of retirement in the Bible.)  He's just moving on to another ministry.  David has always been very transparent in his walk.  He knows that he is a sinner saved by grace, and he's been very up front about that.  Thank you David for your ministry, and helping me walk along part of it with you.  May you, and Trish enjoy then next phase of your Walk With God.  I thought this was a good description of you, http://headhearthand.posterous.com/the-shepherd-leader.

Random Stuff for 1/16/2011:

  1. Good posting by Trevin Wax, http://trevinwax.com/2011/01/16/christs-anguish-is-our-joy/.
  2. Nancy Pearcey on How Critical Thinking Saves Faith, http://www.pearceyreport.com/archives/2010/12/nancy_pearcey_barry_lynn_radio.php.
  3. The Dark Side, a spoof on the The Blindside starring Sandra Bullock, and Peyton Manning

  4. Katie Davis runs a ministry in Uganda, an orphanage, where she's the Mom to 14 little girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment