Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The End of 2010

When I started this back in August, I was hoping to be able to sit down, and put my thoughts down, and reflect on what's going on around me, and this crazy world that seems to be getting crazier.  My hat's off to those who can do this on a daily basis.  I don't think I'm too busy, as I can look around, and see areas of my life that I could improve.  I do know one thing, that I'm looking forward to 2011 as one more year we can erase before the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.  That I do know for sure.

Since my last post, like everyone else, we were busying readying ourselves for Christmas.  During that time, we spent some great time with our friends, but unfortunately, none with family.  My brother moved to Ft Myers a couple of months ago to a Salvation Army half-way house.  I've been writing him, and he spent Thanksgiving, and Christmas down there.  He is very depressed, and his writings are dark.  His children won't communicate with him, and he really is in the 'slough of despond' right now.  Fortunately, I did see a ray of sunshine in the last letter, and I'm hoping he'll slowly get his life together.  I've sent him some money so that he can get a bus pass, toiletries, a hair cut, and I'm trying to get him a cell phone, so if he can find a job, they can call him back.  He definitely needs prayer.

On my way into work yesterday, my fellow car pool rider Gary asked what my New Years resolution was going to be.  I told him that I don't do them, as I've never been able to keep them, so I stopped about 10 years ago.  I asked him if he had ever kept one, and he said only one, and that was he gave up smoking.  That was huge, so I guess there's hope.  Gary's a bohemian type character.  Not a believer, but we do talk, and debate at times.  He's getting ready to retire, and he already has another job lined up.  So I guess one resolution is witness to him, and hopefully place a seed of doubt in his current world view, so that he will consider the alternative, a life with Christ.

I am going to try to post more, and I hope to read some more.  I was only able to get about 6 books done this year, so I have to meet out my time more effectively.  This year, we're looking forward to the marriage of our older son Tim to our new daughter, Meghan.  I'm looking forward to that, and I'm going to put in for the time off today.  Grant will be graduating, and heading off to college in September, so Nancy, and I will be by ourselves.  He's probably going to USF, which is about a hour from here.  Hopefully he can get through 4 years and get employed.  I think I'll either be retired by then, or will definitely retire, as I'll be working for free, as my retirement will be equal to what I'm working.

God has been especially good to me.  I'm hoping that I can stay focused on that He loves me, in spite of my narcissistic tendencies, and remember the forgiveness He gave me, and the redeeming blood that paid for all this garbage I immerse myself into daily.

Come Lord Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment