Saturday, October 9, 2010

Context is Important

I remember the first time I went to a Promise Keeper's event at the old Tampa Stadium, there were feminists outside holding up signs with that said something to the effect that Christian women are commanded to "submit to their husbands."  Being a new Christian, and at the time I was a liberal, and hence liberal in my theological thinking, I was struck by this; I also hadn't read the Bible.  I was thinking that this KJV translation would have surely been fixed by now; of course they are referring to verses written in Ephesians 5:22-6:9, and Colossians 3:18-4:1.  Later on though, I read it, and God helped me understand it, and later in my life I saw how it was and is the answer we need to be telling every family in the US on how it should be structured, it's amazing!

As with everything in Bible, you have to read it in context.  I later learned that cafeteria Christianity, the kind used by liberal theologians who pick and choose what they quote from the Bible, and, who are described by Francis Schaeffer as nothing but secular humanists who use theological terms, is not what God wants.  So as I read the Bible, which I suggest everyone do; get yourself a good study Bible, may I suggest the ESV Study Bible, because if you believe that the Bible is God's inspired Word given to over 40 different authors, then God will open your eyes because it is Him speaking through the words, and if you will let Him, he will change your heart, for the better.

Random Stuff for October 9, 2010:

  1. Can people be saved apart from hearing about Jesus?  This is a great response from a preacher in North Carolina, J. D. Greear on a sermon he gave on Romans 10:14-17.
  2. YUBA Theology is an interesting post given by Fred Sanders, a evangelical Protestant theologian, on Young, Unlearned, Busy, and Afflicted idea by another theologian, John Henry Newman's book, "A Grammar of Assent."  Interesting because it seems like times haven't changed as young people try to make their place in an unbelieving world, and have to work out their beliefs, in this case on the Trinity.
  3. Saw this quote yesterday from C. S. Lewis that I love, especially since I've been reading Nancy Pearcey's book, "Saving Leonardo", "No doubt those who really founded modern science were usually those whose love of truth exceeded their love of power," from his book, "The Abolition of Man."
  4. This is funny

No comments:

Post a Comment